Some things I enjoy in my course:
The world under the microscope.
I find it utterly amazing. Be it blood or fecal medium, the invading organisms are well, beautiful! The tiny egg made by the Tinea worm is encased with a perfectly pleated and spherical outer wall. easy to identify.
I can diagnose malaria in a blood sample under the microscope!
It's great to be in the company of nurses who share a similar frame of mind, who know how to ask good questions and analyze systems and situations holistically and remain present with human struggle and resiliency, not seeing only a 'problem'.
Our lecturers relate their expertise always to the realities of a resource-poor settings.
Some topics we've had include:
Immunology and vaccines
Populations
Schistosomiasis
Public health priorities
Helminths
Ethical issues
Tropical liver
Tropical dermatology
Primary care
Rabies
Emergency response
etc etc.
2 comments:
looks like you're still eating up life (just don't be licking any of those sample slides no matter how beautiful!)
Anita
you're going to be such a good resource when I get sick in Africa. Yes.
Post a Comment