And all these years, my Mum told me "A pint's a pound, the world around."
I'm thinking of asking bartender if he's mistaken.
That's not the only wacky conversion around here.
Go to the grocery and the apple bin will tell you it's 1 pound per kilo. Up until now I thought it was 2.2.
Try this list of conversions:
Bri-ish = United Statesian
yard = yard
garden = yard
coffee = 11am
hot drink from roasted beans = coffee
tea = 4pm
a hot drink from leaves = tea
trousers = pants
pants = underwear
half five = 5:30 o'clock
2.5 = half five
ring me = call me
give way = make way
have a look = take a look
mind your head = watch your head
performed at football games = cheers
cheers! = "see ya" or "Thanks for that" or "take care" or "excuse me, thanks"
Isn't language fun?
(and a Brit would say "Language is so fun isn't it.")
2 comments:
Yes, language is so fun ... just ask my 6th grade middle school teacher. We had just moved back to the States from England. I walked up to my teacher and asked him for a "rubber." Being a naive 12 year old (it was the 80's after all) I had no idea why the poor man was sweating and kept asking me to repeat my question.
This list helps me! I'll need one of these when I go back to the states. I hadn't realised some of these differences. You'll have to train me back. :-)
Post a Comment