Familiarity

Where I come home to:


London has become more familiar.
*I spotted our neighbor boy at the pharmacy
*I recognized a businessman whom I'd rushed past an other day on my way to the bus
*I saw the librarian leave the post office
*The young bilingual mom with two kids on my street was the same crew with whom I'd waited at the bus stop weeks earlier
*I saw the same biker with the same skeleton-shirt flying down the hill
*Met the neighbor, for whom I babysit, on the street corner.

The avenue I take to enter the woods:


House-life here is more familiar or perhaps familial
*barging in for a chat and some laughs and an impromptu brownie party
*learning new games
*sharing the kitchen, bathroom, and tea
*going out somewhere together

Some housemates and I on an outing to nearby azalea gardens today- gorgeous!


Public transport has become more like the back of my hand.
*Yet if I leave my map-book behind, inevitably the route has closures and I wish for my map!
*More than before, I settle into the transit crowd who take their seat and bury in a book, instead of wondering if I should break cultural norm to chat with my neighbor or instead of gawking out the window.






I live near some of the highest hills in London, which afford views back down over the city. This is a part of town we walk to for errands. These pictures, taken a month ago, show the contrast to the more persistent brightness and colors these days!

No comments: