oh yeah. about the tired part (addendum to "Sick and Tired").
I know that I am normal because I got tired. On Wednesday I was exhausted to the point of tears.
Tired:
from not being understood
from not understanding
from not being informed
and tired from continuously trying to frame the right questions to get the information
This kind of vulnerability is like the exposure of one's neck and head on a freezing day- you can lose a lot of heat. Graciously a teammate "offered me her scarf" to conserve the energy and at my point of brief tears took me into her office, and let me warm up and spill my thoughts in my mother tongue.
On Friday it was to the point of laughter. At the end of 5 days of full-press French, a 2-hour meeting in French, then a 2-hour video conference translated into fast French, then I got home 9:30pm and heard the TV announcer chattering away in French as if that was acceptable (how dare she!)...and I blurted, " Can everybody just STOP SPEAKING FRENCH! It was a good laugh.
1 comment:
I keenly recall that sense of sheer exhaustion that I felt in Central America after a day of studying and/or interacting in Spanish and in unfamiliar cultural rules...even though I was already very conversant in the language, and saw fellow English-speakers almost daily! GO SISTER! You are doing hard work on all levels. Yes, you can!! Love, ME
Post a Comment