If this battered term could invoke images of a global-good-mood, that is how I would describe my world the day the news about our next president was wiggled to the farthest reaches of radio and satellite waves.
I think we've taken an important step and not a single person whom I have met since leaving my home country would disagree. I got hugs and cheers and text messages and laughter and claims of familial relations to the new leader! Experiencing this moment in history as an expatriate has been very enriching and has afforded conversations I would never otherwise have. Yahoo for this kind of warming!
3 comments:
Amen! Same exact situation here in Mozambique. It has been surprising, and fun, and humbling, and yes - heartwarming - to experience Mozambicans' reactions to our new "Chefe Presidente". Joy is not too exaggerated a term to describe how they have responded. And on my end, it feels good for a change to hear people speak with respect about our country. (It's been a long time since I've experienced that with foreigners.) And a relief to see that they still deeply wish to do so.
How was your election dinner? Or were you not feeling well enough to have it. Hope you are all recovered.
It's great to hear first-hand what the BBC reported about the rest of the world's reaction to the news of the presidential election results. And it makes me, as a US citizen, feel almost like a worthy member of the international community! --ME
Post a Comment