No wonder donkeys are the butt (or should I say ass?) of many jokes. They are such laughable creatures! The little buggers are cute inspite of themselves. They have a bulgy mouse-brown body, perky ears, cow-ish tail, and a dark grey cross that saddles their behind and back.
They are a dime a dozen in these parts, but there remains a lot I don't know about them, such as where do they originate from? I am pretty sure that the desert is not their birth place. I also have not figured out why the heck they make the sound they do. I was marvelling at the ridiculousness of the donkey music the other day and finally lighted on a way to describe it.
Let's go down to the market place just down the hill from our house on a Friday afternoon where the place is swarming with people and animals and honking motorbikes and dust. Grab your stick and let's kidnap all the tail-swishing meter-high brownish-gray beasts of burden who are parked by the bridge. Try to be casual as we carole them all out of town and discreetly onto one block on 5th Ave in New York City. Now block off the street and let them start their braying and hgeee-haawing.
"You're crazy!", you might object. But seriously, other than the lack of carbon emissions and upper class passengers, probably no one would notice a difference because the NigeriƩn donkey chorus would just sound like a regular traffic jam. And just as loud, just as stubborn and a lot more funny!
No comments:
Post a Comment