since when...

some oddities of adjustment:

I still haven't had ice cream (too cold to want it) but I will soon find an occasion.

Haven't looked at a nutrition label for 6 months.

Haven't seen 40 degrees celsius (104 F) since I left Niger last week and swapped it for 1 Celcius in Europe.

Didn't miss billboards and commercials.

Haven't driven since I sold it to a friend last summer but I have gone a lot of places!

I forgot that mirrors steam up if you get too close or take a bath.

I'd forgotten about buildings with 2 stories or more.

and weather forecasts! when I hear them, it seems so obvious that of course its drizzly and cold- because that is what is it's doing outside. And of course it is going to warm up- it always does during the middle of the day with the sun's position. I think I got used to calculating my own daily forecast in Niger by looking at the sky on my little walk each morning down the road to our base office. a strange thought for me.

and no, I don't need to speak French to everyone with an accent (which is everyone). I can just blurt out my thoughts without translating first.

1 comment:

sara said...

I once had a 12 year old girl come stay with me in Chimoio, she was from Gwenji (a place similar to Sinhala, the marimba-dancing-around-the fire place) and had never been to a city. I took her to visit a friend who lived on the 3rd floor--she was shocked, had never climbed stairs or been up high. It's one of those things you just think is normal to everyone--so are mirrors.