Magic

Now you see it

Now you don't

I am gleefully (I confess) enjoying the quiet and spacious kitchen without a fridge. Since the nights have become consistently cold, we've shifted to storing stuff in a cooler on the porch at night and using a deep freezer, home-canned and dry goods (milk) as our food storage. And otherwise we eat what we've made. My months in Cameroon taught me a lot about a kitchen without a fridge and last winter I did the same. Summertime might be a different story.

So far it hasn't stifled our palette or our menu. In fact it is probably is satisfying a special element of my creativity that likes restraints and challenges. Last night, we had a version of Mexi tapas and I only set off the fire alarm once. Today, since we're going away for 4 days, I made lunch out of everything left.

Here's what it became:
a round stack of rice
then crispied cornmeal crumble
then a 5 pronged star of previously baked squash
with pie wedges of left over potatoe/parsnip mash in between the prongs
sprinkled with chopped parsley from last night
Over it all I added some salmon, pre-cooked and from the freezer.

We're both happy to have the big thing off our electric bill too. We've been sleuthing to find out why our bill was ridiculously high last time.

1 comment:

Second Sister said...

nice. Good luck with the electric bill thing. That can be so infuriating, eh?