I walked about 2 miles for my groceries this morning: roadside vegetables.
A forager friend of ours introduced me to the profile of wild asparagus growing along road-sides. Especially in the fall it's easy to spot, since feathery yellow stalks and red berries flag attention. In the summer of course you see its wispy bunches of green.
To my delight, a tall stand of it, seemingly out of nowhere stopped me in my tracks the other morning and I came home squeezing a handful of green, crisp, dripping-sweet chompo bar (a family joke).
Our road is positively loaded! This morning I discovered another section of the road nearest us with at least 10 more plants. These seemed to be younger plugs with more spindly shoots. You can see the variety I found. I was astounded at how sweet they are- as much or more than sweet corn.
I'm already wondering if I could transplant some plugs? (Any advice here?) Some of them are obviously well established, putting up finger-thick stalks.
Speaking of stalking, it's such fun to walk along and train the eye for the elusive vegetable. They blend in with the current color of thick-bladed grasses and are often just the same height. I took M hunting with me once and he said "Aren't you going to get that one?", a tall succulent stalk that I could not see right in front of my eyes!
The asparagus is helping to tiding us over while we await more greens and veggies from the garden. I also harvested some wild plant from the brassica family and some land cress or mustard, I'm not sure which. The wild garlic harvest is also big. This has been a real delight.
1 comment:
Awesome, Hannah. Thinning the inch high lettuce that I'm growing in the window is helping to tide me over to any chance for summer and greens...
Post a Comment