Forager II

Foraging tools:
1 Basket, draped on arm
1 snippers, to exterminate poison ivy
1 pocket book:
1 belly full of food I don't normally eat, ready for a light and fibrous supper
1 orchard
1 field
1 woods

Mix Together:
Ingredients: sour grass, dandelion leaves and flower, redbuds, violets, wood cress leaf and flower, plantain leaves, and wild asparagus. Optional adds: olive oil, balsamic, salt, sunflower seeds, some little dried berry perhaps?
Serve at evening's fall:
 
This turned out to actually be a lovely salad. A sweet dried berry might have helped. I wanted to add the buttercups swaying in the grasses, but the book says they're considered to be slightly poisonous.

Also blooming now is Mustard. It's yellow flowers look much like wood cress, but they're milder and look more like plants in the col or brassica family. I harvested some  this morning along the roadside and fields. 

The Weeds book was a gift from Mom and Dad, I think for Childrens' Day, when I was maybe eight (judging by the hand-writing). I still love it! 




1 comment:

mardav said...

You must have gotten the urge to forage in your genes. Last eve we had fresh 'poke weed' from wedding hill-how tender and tasty it was. this eve we enjoyed some dock weed for supper. I never ate that before.Always thought of it as a nasty bad weed! It was very good and it's supposed to be really healthy with lots of vit.C.
What's next?? LETTUCE from the garden!
dad