Trowel-making date

I've been hankering for a trowel ever since I dug back into gardening this Fall. Hand-smithed tools cost around 30 or 40 buckeroos and M suggested that we "make our own" (his most oft stated phrase).

He has access to 'shops' of his family/friends where there are machines, tools, and welders at hand. So under his relaxed tutelage, I cut out the spade from scrap steel with an oxyacetylene torch, and then, after practicing, laid a bead of weld to attach the handle. M did the heating and bending of the spade part. Then we ground off the rough edges and voila!

Welding is quite scary because there is so much electricity and the face shield allows you only to see the light from the arc and the molten metal, once you begin.  I had to face into fear and frustration to keep going until I got the arc to start, but in the end, it was really fun. Now we have one of the sturdiest trowels ever made, and so ugly that no one would ever think to steal it. And it digs like no body's business!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey there h.
not to bad for first weld job. it's not easy to make a nice bead withan arc welder, but you've got one "serious" trowel. should last for a lot of gardening!
dhc