By Word of Beak

After she handed it to me, I admitted to Mom that I'd been hoping for a bird magnet of some kind this winter. The cake of suet actually reminded me of some stuff M's made for us once, for hiking fuel.

Sure enough, several days after hanging the little cage of food on our back deck, a flutter of tufted-tit-mouse birds had found it and were having a ball.

As good ideas often do, the success of luring birds to my window only made me want more and soon there was a bag of black oil sunflower seeds in my kitchen. I spurned all the plastic feeder options, figuring someone in some far-away country did not need to make something for my birds to eat from. I figured I would just spread the seed on some old bucket lid.

Then as I was convalescing last weekend and M had some time to 'putter', this is what happened:

Okay, so I can be very easily tickled. But I think this feeder made entirely of old junk is the coolest thing, easy to fill, and well, makes use of junk!

The birdies like it too. In a day or two, news that free seeds were hanging on our deck had spread by word of beak and a steady flit and flitter brought cardinals and Tit-mice (so far) to our window. 

Between the mesmerizing fire, a back-deck bird show, and a piano and a djembe, I'd say we have all kinds of winter entertainment!

2 comments:

Second Sister said...

nice! Glad it worked so well!

mardav said...

Pretty cool feeder... does the tray spin and throw off the squirrels when they try to get on it????!!!
dhc sr.