Nice Thought

Well, it was a nice thought anyway- winter, that is. I kept chomping after the carrot strung in front of my face, as friends here assured:
"by November or mid-December you'll need a turban, a sweater, socks…"
"just you wait- next week the wind will really start- oh wow!"
"by mid-January it will be cold like Europe"
"just you wait, it's chilly now, but the real cold will come- next week or the next"

Well, with one hand of truly frigid days to note on the calendar (3 in Dec, 2 in Jan), I think everyone here agrees that we've left winter behind in the dust. 40°C in the shade yesterday. When I exclaim that it's hot, they all say now, just wait until May! Then it's REALLY hot!

When I remark on the mal-calcultated forcast, locals here agree that it has been a abnormal winter and people know about global warming. Makes me glad I rode my bike a lot at home. Also makes me brag of all my friends and fam who carpool and bike, so I can tell friends here that we are trying to make a difference!

Already my body starts adjusting. Last night under the moon, when the night breeze finally eased its way out of the darkness, I got cold, and I would guess it was just shy of 30° C (80's)

No comments: