Voilá

Is it possible to "expect the unexpected"? To me that phrase grasps at the mystery of trusting in/living into God's Presence in the world. I feel like I am on the crest of a wave that might be full of those mysteries.

Monday of this week found me making myself finally at home again~ baking whole wheat bread (scarce in Moz and DRC), squeezing fresh lemonade, washing clothes, receiving friends~ an ideal welcome home. I was settling mentally in for a nebulous month of discernment and deliberating and decision-making. And then the phone rang.

The aid organization for whom I'd interviewed in February was calling to offer me a post in Niger for half a year, working in malnutrition.
This took me very much by surprise for I had been planning to put my application on hold because my French is not up to full speed.

But they beat me to the punch; they've decided to take a risk on me, if I'm ready to risk language immersion. The fact that the placement has few security risks, makes this possible. The short story is that within 24 hours, I said yes and within 24 more, they confirmed it. So much for a foggy August! This next step came bursting into focus with a "take it" or "leave it" choice. I took it.

A friend once gave me a quote that I keep on my mirror: When you come to a fork in the road...take it. (Yogi Berra) The decision was not made that randomly, but the spirit of carpe diem is there. The cummulative processing/praying/exploring done with my community these last months came to rest on that moment. The recruiter declined my request for extra time to consider and I had to decide. Voilá! I'm off to Niger.

*Editor's note: The accent over the a in the title should be slanted instead to the left. I can't find the keyboard shortcut for that one. Please pardon my French.*

No comments: