Landing


I've been landing since Monday. The air was choppy over DC and not a little scary to float a big plane through, but we made it down alive. Since then I've hardly spent an hour in my little rented room other than sleeping for a few.

Actually, I've had the rare treat of spending most hours with my blood family, celebrating the marriage of my only brother. There were about 9 hours where all 12 of us were in the same place- the first time in years...and now there are 13 of us.


So I've been landing slowly- spending time in Kinshasa (Congo's capital city) after leaving Kajiji; spending a few days in London after leaving Kinshasa; spending a night with sibs after landing in D.C., and now spending time in Pennsylvania after the wedding, reunioning with extended relatives. It has been such a gift to be with my parents and sisters and their husbands and kids.

Yet I am not yet grounded until I've spent time in the presence of my friends...and that I am eager to do. The people who have prayed for and wondered about me, encouraged me and listened, and kept the home fires ablaze and dreams alive--these next few weeks are dedicated to you.

Following are some pix of my travel modes in the last month. The above picture is the little Cessna that flew us to Kajiji.

A boat to the coast of the Indian Ocean in Mozambique:
A drive through a game park in Moz (stay in the vehicle!):
Traffic in Kinshasa:
Kenyan Airways (super service!):
Walking to the Kwenge river with Congolese colleagues:
All in a day's walk:

No comments: