There said Owl

"There," said Owl. "That does it!" Owl stopped crying.

Any fans of dear Owl know that this was his cry (pardon the pun) upon filing his teapot with tear-water tea.

Last Saturday, at the persuasion of the January sun, and the need for therapy, I did something crazy
... and planted tear-water peas before the first month of the year was up.

Clipping long-dried stalks from summer past, reuniting with the compost, and plunging my piggies in the dirt, I realized that I had a sense of happiness, in some wholesome way. 

That must be what gardening does for me and I needed it...so I didn't stop there!
Gleefully, I pushed in radishes, greens, spinach and beets. Hah ha! Take that!
I liked to think that the seeds were enjoying it too, relieved of their little envelopes and settling happily into where they'd naturally spend a winter. 


If I make time for another blog post in 3 months, I may be munching on veggies :)
But let me be true and say ... that that would only be by a miracle. 
I cannot make a seed shed its coat and grow something entirely new... I simply wait and hope that all the right bacteria just 'happen' to be there where I happen to lay down a seed on a whim ... I lift not a finger to keep the world on its axis ... The water cycle works its vital magic whether I dance in the rain or not ... I have to knee myself out of bed even though these miracles are bursting all around me.
Let me silence the rocks and shout Halleluia!

No comments: