That is almost half of a ruler! And how delightful it has been. Historically I start hopping and beaming when a long-awaited rain comes and this was no exception. Barrels and barrels of rain soaked into the garden, now turning fast toward fall.
M recently calculated that with each inch of rain, .62 gallons fall on a square foot of land. That makes 967.2 gallons on our thirsty garden. It sounds crazy, but when you collect it in barrels, it's true! A friend of ours with roof-water collection overspilled his barrel-system (he has about seven 250 gal tanks) in the first 40 minutes during which 2.2 inches fell.
Unfortunately, the wet must have driven out the bunnies as well. My beautiful new bean crop had already sprouted fresh green leaves...only to be popped off to the stem the day after the rain. I must admit they looked delicious...but that was the whole crop! How disappointing. Any gardeners' counsel- should I replant now?
No comments:
Post a Comment